Pearks Grocery Store was situated on the Stratford Road next door to Fosters the mens outfitters on the corner of Radcliffe Street. The picture which was taken in 1958 and was provided by Hilda Webb (nee Horton) of Yardley Gobion.
Standing behind the counter from the left are Joyce Callow (now Roberts) – Cakes, Nina Eldred, Hilda Brown, Wilf Stanton – Manager, Hilda Horton (now Webb) – Cheese and Joan Smith.
The Counter had to be cleared and cleansed every night and set out again in the morning. The cake was cut into squares and weighed. The cheese was cut with a wire and also sold by weight. The Cadbury’s half covered chocolate biscuits were sold by half pound. Among the other items for sale can be seen are fish and meat paste, HP Sauce, soft cheese in segments in round boxes and numerous tinned goods. Note the prices shown and remember that 1/- is now only 5p