Wolverton Railway Works was established in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, by the London and Birmingham Railway Company in 1838 at the midpoint of the 112 mile-long route from London to Birmingham. The line was developed by Robert Stephenson At first, the Works was used for maintenance and repairs of locomotives purchased from outside firms. Two locomotives were built there in 1845/6 and another in 1848, but following enlargement of the buildings and increased facilities, they were turned out in quantity.
A total of 166 locomotives were built at Wolverton, the last of them in September 1863. These included three varieties of the 2-2-2 ‘Bloomers’, 86 of the ‘Wolverton Express Goods’ 0-6-0 and four classes of 0-4-2. In 1846 the London & Birmingham became part of the London and North Western Railway. In 1862 a decision was taken to concentrate locomotive work at Crewe, and in 1865 Wolverton became the LNWR Carriage Works. It became the largest carriage works in Great Britain — and a major employer in the area for many years. P Webb