The Smithy Shop was built in 1860 and extended in 1900, it is a fine building of 350 feet long and 90 feet wide. The activities contained within this shop was of springmakers, forgemen, smiths and boilermakers.
The Smithy Shop also had the most up-to- date and relevent machinery like forge presses, welding machines, drop stamps, forging hammers, roll mills, nut and bolt machines, punches and sheers. The Smithy Shop in its heyday had over 400 men working within in it’s walls.
When the new work ceased in 1963 most of the machinery was removed and in 1985 the Smithy relocated to the old Iron Stores and again moved to the Top Shop in 1987.