Built in 1860, it was a large 2 gable ended building built as a boiler and new erecting shop. This is where boilers of the steam loco’s and loco’s was built. In 1890 the new erecting shop became the electic shop. Around 1912 the Wolverton train lighting system was invented and produced in this shop. In 1923 this shop then became the the wagon underframe shop with the introduction of wagon building.
In about 1865 when the works took on carriage building the Boiler shop became the carriage underframe shop.
In 1963 after over a 100 years of diverse use the boiler and new erecting shop became the traction shop and reverted back to it’s originel role of motive power.
Vehicles that come into this shop are disconnected electrically and mechanically and lifted. The motors are then removed from the bogies and stripped and overhauled. All the vehicle underframe equipment is also stripped and overhauled.
1987 saw the traction shop closed and moved to the west end of the works. The 1860 shop was used again in 1988 when it held a service to celebrate Wolverton 150. Some time in 1992 the 1860 traction shop was demolished with out a thought to it’s history. No photos of this shop are around. Now in 2010 a Tesco store sits on the former site of the traction shop.